Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Worship For All Seasons

Which do you think was harder for Noah - being in the ark while the rain fell from the sky and came up from the ground flooding the earth for 40 days, or waiting in that same ark for a year while the sun was shining and the ground was drying? It's a tough call.


Living in the Seattle area, I know what it's like to experience grey skies and precipitation for weeks at a time. No fun. Especially when it's supposed to be feeling like summer and the rest of the country is experiencing weather that's different from what they had in November. Ours is pretty much the same. Waiting in a huge boat for months and months with odiferous creatures and undoubtedly crabby family members probably wasn't much better. But the way I see it, at least they had blue sky to look at.


In our lives, just like in Noah's, waiting and wondering are part of God's action plan. Even though we feel idle, God is moving. With Noah, water levels were receding. Plants were coming back to life. Character was being refined. Relationships built. We're not so different. Grey skies or blue, we get to choose our attitude toward the God who is in the process of sanctifying us. He is the God who has called us out of darkness and into light. (1 Peter 2:9) He makes the skies grey or blue for His glory. And He never changes. So my only response is to worship Him because He is God. Whether I'm waiting or working or whiling away the hours gazing out the window, who God is and what He has done make Him worthy of my worshipful response. What I do is far less important than who He is. And that perspective helps me weather the rain. And the waiting. Because all of my life, in every season, He is still God. And I have a reason to sing. I have a reason to worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment