Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Training

Yesterday I saw a woman at the gym who I'll call Mary, because, like Mary Poppins, she appeared to be practically perfect in every way. Gorgeous, long, dark hair, toned body, and dressed to impress, Mary was executing moves I'd never seen, and seemingly without effort. I couldn't take my eyes off her as I huffed and puffed on the elliptical machine nearby in my Target pants and ratty pink T-shirt from an event I attended a couple of years ago, my middle-aged body straining not to lose ground against the ever-increasing pace of aging.


Ironically, it got me thinking about Heaven. Not because Mary looks like she's already gotten her resurrection body, but because of something I hear Christians say a lot. They say that this life is training for us to get ready for Heaven. Have you heard that? Here's my problem with that theory: if we have eternity to be with Jesus and worship Him, won't that be enough time to get to be good at the things Heaven requires? If after a million years, we don't have one second less to spend there, I'm pretty sure I'll get to know the songs we'll be singing. I might even pick up the harmony on a few.


On the other hand, what if our time here is to encourage each other toward right living and joy so that other people can see it and the population of Heaven will increase? What if this life's purpose is to learn to enjoy God so fully that other people won't be able to resist asking us about Him and learning about Him themselves? Not to mention the fact that this life is all we can comprehend currently. I'm thinking that this week is probably spiritual training for me just to get through next week, Amen?!


So as much as I believe Scripture points to the fact that the best of this world pales in comparison to what we'll experience for eternity, I can't get my head around the fact that I might not be ready for it so I need training here. I'm pretty sure I'll recognize Jesus when I get there. I've already been talking to Him and learning about Him for a while. And I'm pretty sure the rest will work itself out. But if I can learn more fully how to enjoy Him now, and that influences others in my life to pursue Him and give Him glory, whether they already know Him or not, that's reward enough for me right now. I'll figure the rest out when I meet Him face to face.

1 comment: