Thursday, May 6, 2010

Grace

Many of you have already heard me tell this story, but it has lingered with me long enough to actually write it down.


So we're having dinner the other night and my husband announces that if certain academic criteria are not met by June, our 13-year-old will no longer get his allowance. Ever. So let it be written. So let it be done.


I couldn't help but notice my son crying into his spaghetti so I asked if he had some feelings he wanted to share. (I'm sensitive that way.) He explained, through his tears, that it doesn't seem fair to him that he should be punished for something that he might not have any control over. If he does his best, shouldn't that be enough?


Of course your best is enough, I reply. And if you do your best between now and the end of the year, this might not even be an issue. Here's the thing: your dad gives you an allowance not because you earn it or deserve it, but because he wants to and he can. Since you didn't do anything to deserve it, you can't really be mad when he takes it away. It's his to decide when to give it and when to withhold it.


As the words are coming out of my mouth I realize that I'm describing a crucial and fundamental tenet of the Christian faith - grace. God blesses us because He chooses to. Not because we have done anything to deserve it. When bad things happen - tragedy, financial difficulties, illness, relational stress - He not only doesn't owe us a happy ending; He doesn't even owe us an explanation!


We are not entitled to God's favor, no matter how holy we think we are. No matter how many times we've read through the Bible in a year. No matter how much money we give away or how many shifts we volunteer at the local shelter. Grace is goodness even though we don't deserve it.


Thank you, Father, for your grace. For the many blessings I enjoy that I did nothing to deserve. You are so good to me. May I respond with a life that gives you glory. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Jenni: Thanks for your response to my blog. I get so excited when I think about grace that after I posted that blog, I worried that maybe I'd stepped on your toes with my excitement. I'm so glad to know we're on the same page (especially since it's such a great page to be on)!

    I love your grace analogy here, and I love how God gives us so many different situations in life to help us understand His love, mercy, and grace towards us.

    Looking forward to the next "Cuppa Joe!"

    ReplyDelete