Friday, April 9, 2010

Giving My Heart

The lyrics to several worship songs have been playing over and over in my head recently and I've noticed a theme: Giving all of my heart to God. What does that even mean? Here are some of the sections of songs that show up in my mental "repeat playlist". (I've also included links to a couple of videos, if you want to take a little worship detour...)


I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to you surrendered,
All I am is yours. (The Stand)



You won't relent until you have it all, 
My heart is yours. (Won't Relent)



So I keep asking myself, "Are there parts of my heart that I'm not giving to God?" How would I even know? And why would I hold on? What does it look like to surrender? Am I doing it, but don't know it? Or is this an area of my faith that God is just about to reveal to me? 

These are some verses I can meditate on, as I ask God to reveal the specifics of giving my whole heart to Him - all my affection, my devotion, my passion, my life.


"But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to obey his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and all your soul." (Joshua 22:5)


"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24)


"Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." (Psalm 86:11)


 I'll keep praying that God will increase my passion and desire to give Him my whole heart. I want nothing else. Come be the fire inside of me; be the flame upon my heart. How can that prayer not be answered? I only hope I recognize it when it happens and that I respond. 











No comments:

Post a Comment