Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Faucets

In the capital city of the African nation of Tanzania, less than 25% of the residents have access to piped running water in their homes. Fewer than 18% of black South Africans have running water in their homes. And lest we think a scarcity of running water is only a foreign issue, I came across a recent news article saying that thousands of homes on a Navajo reservation in New Mexico will soon get running water for the first time. The Navajo Nation Vice President was quoted as saying, “Water is life, and for those that are not getting running water right now, we are working very hard”.


Clean, safe, convenient water is life. Some have suggested that solving the drinking water problem in strategic areas of the world will improve education, general health and reduce poverty. Without water our bodies will dehydrate and shut down within ten days.


I would never suggest that waiting for my new kitchen faucets was anything close to life-threatening. Slightly inconvenient, if anything. While the prep work was going on upstairs in the kitchen, and I didn’t have running water, I washed two or three dishes at a time in my makeshift galley in the laundry room. Even living like that for only a few days made me realize how often I use my faucets for rinsing, washing and drinking. I had grown particularly fond of my instant hot water faucet, which allowed me to have immediate beverage gratification on a chilly day, and of my freezer’s icemaker, which allowed me to have immediate beverage gratification on a warm day (as rare as those may be in the Pacific Northwest).


Now that I have both, glory! My new faucets are funky and practical – a perfect combination. I have water when I want to wash my hands. I have water when I want to have a drink. There are perfectly formed ice cubes in my freezer. I could have hot apple cider or a hot cup of tea right now if I wanted to. And all because of running water. (And a few additional bells and whistles…)


I’m reminded of the words of Jesus when he spoke to the church at Laodicea:


14"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. 15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.” (Revelation 3:14-16)


Laodicea (in present day Turkey) was located between two cities who were known for their water sources – Hieropolis, where there were hot springs, and Colossae, famous for its cool, pure streams of refreshing water. Hot springs were considered to be medicinal and healing. Cool water was ideal for drinking. Since Laodicea was several miles from each of these useful sources, the aqueducts brought water from either place that was tepid and not too appealing by the time it made the journey to the Laodiceans. It was, in a word, lukewarm.


Not useful.


Not healing.


Not refreshing.


All of which God wants His children to be.


Do we serve others and place their needs above our own so that we’re useful?


Do we speak words of life that bring healing?


Do we live in such a way that brings energy and encouragement to the people around us, refreshing them?


If we’re living like hot or cold water, we should. But if we claim to follow Jesus and the world has influenced us to such a degree that we’re tepid – hypocritical, blending in with our environment, stagnant in our faith – then we’re not attractive in the way that Jesus in us should be.


Here’s the question I’ve asked myself regarding my spiritual zeal: How can I cultivate my relationship with God in such a way that His love and power are evident to those around me? In other words, how can I be sure that I’m either hot – a healing representation of Jesus at work in me – or cold – refreshing and encouraging? Either way I’m called to be a conduit and representation of life. Full and abundant because of the Holy Spirit’s transformational power in me.


Jesus said, “Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." (John 7:38) That water should be a hot spring or a cool stream.


When the Samaritan woman with a checkered past was approached by Jesus, and the discussion vacillated between the physical and the spiritual, water served as a conversational bridge of sorts. He said, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:13-14)


Father, would your Presence so impact my heart that others sense it as well. Make me hot or cold for your glory so that I don’t cease to be useful for anything in your Kingdom. Do big things or do little things through me, but do something. I don’t want to play it safe or fly under the radar for fear of living a life I’m not controlling. I want to put my trust in you completely. Show us your love and help us show it to others. Amen.



• Read Revelation 2:1-3:22. What phrases are repeated? Why? What issues resonate with you?


• Ask God this week to reveal ways in which you can be hot or cold water to people around you. Spend time listening to Him and connecting with Him so you’ll be sure to recognize the promptings when they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment