Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Date with Charlie

Last night I had a date with my 13-year-old. It was awesome.

We went to the Paramount Theater in Seattle to see a comedian my son LOVES - Brian Regan. My husband joined us and paid for dinner (Thank you, Tony!), then our date began.

My son didn't remember being at the Paramount before and took in the beautiful chandeliers and the sculpted ceilings as we waited for the show to begin. (Let's just say there were way more seats in front of us than behind us and the ceiling fixtures were a natural point of attraction from where we were.) His anticipation was palpable. After a few text messages to friends and a couple of squeals, the lights dimmed and the opening comic took the stage. He was mildly amusing, but Charlie was ready to laugh and enjoyed the performance.

When Brian Regan was finally announced, I thought my son was going to leap from his seat. I have never seen such excitement up close. Sure, I've see the videos of kids screaming over Elvis in documentaries, but your own offspring mere inches away? It was pure delight. At one point he turned to me and said, with both hands covering his mouth, "He's right here, Mom! He's right here!"

Later, as we were watching the performance on the large screen behind Brian Regan (I told you our seats were up there...) Charlie said, "It's like watching him on TV, but he's right here!"

Truth be told, I laughed so hard my eyes watered and once I thought I might wet my pants a little. He was, in a word, hysterical.

So here's what I've been thinking this morning. We are so enthusiastic about sporting events, pop stars and comedians that we clap, stand and holler, bark like dogs, and scream like little girls, but don't seem to muster up similar energy in the presence of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We will see Him one day. And He is with us every day right now. What would it be like to walk into church tomorrow morning, anticipating His Presence, and say to each other, "He's right here!"

We can talk to Him. We can hear Him. We can interact with Him. And He can change our lives. In every conversation with a friend, He's right here. In tear-filled, silent pain, He's right here. In our most exultant moments of joy, He's right here. What can we do to remind ourselves and each other of that truth? I'm not suggesting we all have to start worshipping like crazy people, but how can we prevent ourselves from becoming complacent in the presence of our Redeemer?

I want more excitement.

More worship adrenaline.

More Holy Spirit fire.

Father, come and have your way in me today. As undignified or as unorthodox as that may be. Make me aware of your holy presence and consume me with your fire. You are right here. May I never forget it. Amen.


1 comment:

  1. Love how you translate real life into REAL life. . . if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete