Monday, June 28, 2010

Hosea

I wonder if it was any consolation to Hosea or to his children to know that they were symbolic of something bigger God was doing in Israel and Judah, rather than just the unfortunate twists, turns and bird doo doo of life coming their way. What they went through in their family life was terrible. Did it help to know it was for a larger purpose or was it just awful to have your dad name you "Not My People"? Or to have your wife keep whoring around after you're married?


Does knowing that God has a purpose in my life make all things bearable?


Does everything fade in comparison to hearing God's loving promises spoken over me in the wilderness?


It has to.


I want to hear and believe God when He says:


"And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the LORD." (Hosea 2:19-20)



What a difference it would have made in Gomer's life to be made aware of her guilt and shame yet hear these words from God and know Him. To hear promises she may have heard from many men but to know in the deepest part of her that they were true now in a way she'd never imagined.


And how it must have comforted her children to hear from God:


"And I will have mercy on No Mercy, and I will say to Not My People, 'You are my people'; and he shall say, 'You are my God'". (Hosea 2:23)


Hope.


Restoration.


Belonging.


How can I cling to those truths so tightly that I'm not shaken by my insecurities and circumstances? How long must I follow you, Lord, before I truly believe your promises and I say, "You are my God" and know it and mean it?


Come, Lord Jesus, and make it true in my life.



1 comment: