Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stewardship Thoughts

A broken glass in the recycle bin.

Empty, crushed soda cans and Gatorade bottles in the corners.

Dirty cereal bowls piled in the kitchen sink.

Unidentified stains on the ottoman.

Poker chips and playing cards strewn about a sticky tile floor.

Rhythmically breathing, amorphous silhouettes on the couch and carpet.

The aftermath of a teenage sleepover.

I don't mind the loud music or the raucous laughter over video game wipeouts. I don't mind feeding these boys bushels of cereal, Oreos, and full-course meals. My son has some great friends. I want them to have full use of all the comforts of our home so I can know and spend time with the people who have ever increasing influence over my only child. I want them to use what we have.

I don't want them to wreck what we have.

The concept is called stewardship and it's one that God expects His children to understand and implement. It's the idea of using what God gives us with wisdom and with respect for the Giver. It has to do with our stuff. It has to do with our talents. Our time. Our relationships and emotions. It's everything God has given us. And because there's nothing He didn't give us, it's simply everything.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." (James 1:17)

If someone gives me something that belongs to them, and I'm given the privilege and responsibility of it for a season, I had better take good care of it because I have a connection to the one who gave it to me. The same goes for the good gifts God has given me. I give back a portion of the money He's provided in tithing and figure out what my spiritual gifts and talents are to know how better to serve Him. I steward everything because God wired me uniquely with the capability to serve Him by teaching or running a business or creating inspiring art or administrating projects or caring for children or building houses. I didn't do any of it. Even the ability to learn a new skill came from the brain He gave me.

So looking at the wake of destruction the teens have wrought, I have to ask myself if there's anything in my life that looks like my family room and kitchen - internally and figuratively speaking. Is there anything I'm wasting? As a human being I have limited potential, but am I using what I have to give God glory because I love and fear Him? Or am I treating with contempt the gifts He's given and frittering away my time and resources out of a sense of entitlement or complacency?

I'm sure the 14-year-old boys on my couch are going to love this lesson when they wake up.....


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Jenni! This made me think of stewardship with the precious gifts of people God gave to me...my husband, children, friends, and family.

    ReplyDelete