Saturday, June 9, 2012

So I met a guy in a bar last night.

Let me explain.

I was meeting a couple of friends who used to work for my husband, and when we meet, we meet at the restaurant my husband used to own, which is where they used to work. As we were catching up on jobs, relationships, and the state of politics and the economy, a man seated a few barstools away from us joined our conversation.

First, he commented on the frustrations of the aging process. Brother, I hear you there! We nodded politely, then turned back to our conversation.

After he'd had a couple more drinks and our conversation seemed more interesting to him, he chimed in once again. This time he had overheard us talking about gay marriage laws and differing views Christians had on the subject. My friends and I have agreed to disagree on many issues, this being one of them. Our new friend directed his comment to me when he said, "so you're one of those judgmental Christians who thinks all gay people will go to hell." Awesome. I responded that if by judgmental he meant putting myself in a superior position to others, then, no. I'm not judgmental. (This after he wondered why I just didn't embrace my judgmentalism.)

"Do you believe there's a hell?"

"Yes," I replied.

"Do you believe people will actually go there?"

"Yes."

"Do you believe all gay people will go to hell?"

"Absolutely not."

His eyebrows raised, he pursed his lips and nodded slowly, as if to say, "tell me more". So I did.

As my friends had quickly exited for a cigarette, throwing me under the bus to engage our new friend alone, I continued:

"You see, I don't think it's what anybody does that determines whether or not they go to heaven. It's who they know. If someone knows Jesus and accepts what HE did by dying on the cross for them, that's what determines whether or not they go to heaven."

More nodding.

Then, after some talk of Americans not knowing the difference between consubstantiation and transubstantiation, and illiterate spirituality, and "slaughtering" religious differences, we discovered that the barstool denizen was, in fact, Canadian. He'd been living here for 10 years and had assessed the American spiritual zeitgeist so thoroughly that there really was nothing left to discuss.

So he finished his meal, paid his tab, and left.

My friends and I debriefed.

Turns out they really agree with a lot that he was saying. But he was such a jerk about it that they didn't trust themselves to engage calmly in my defense as he ranted about "literalist Christians" and their problems interpreting the first 2 chapters of Genesis (idiots!). There was some awkward head-shaking and sighing before we moved on to the next topic in his absence.

This morning I'm replaying the conversations in my head. Did I represent Christ well? Did I speak truth? How can I keep engaging people on issues like biblical interpretations of social issues without appearing to be (or actually being) ignorant or condescending or rude?

Thank God for the power of the Holy Spirit! I was leaning heavily on His direction last night, for sure. And so, this morning, I release my second-guessing and hand-wringing to His sovereignty. May my Canadian spiritual nemesis find truth and peace in other conversations as God reveals Himself more and more.












5 comments:

  1. Love you. Love this.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my sin is not such a hot topic or probably so apparent to others. Not sure why i care but i fervently pray that my neighbors are not deciding amongst themselves whether i am a candidate for heaven or not. I am confident i will fare better with God's grace than with my neighbors grace.
    This topic has definitely made me ponder.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you happened to have any divine inspiration on forgiving people who have hurt you i could really use it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things I've learned about forgiving those who have hurt me:

      1. Sometimes it's a process. I release little by little the bitterness of being hurt, until I am no longer paralyzed or controlled by the pain. Sometimes God's grace overwhelms, and forgiveness is immediate, but more often, my experience has been over time.

      2. I can't forgive without God. I go to Him over and over with my feelings over a painful situation, knowing that He never tires of my pleas and wants to bring me to a place of freedom in forgiving.

      3. It's hard! Even though people have told me that when I understand how God has forgiven me, I will forgive others more easily, I still struggle. And often the root of my struggle is my own pride. I think I deserve more than others, I've sinned less, or I want to hang on to unforgiveness out of some sense of retribution. The truth is, not forgiving only hurts me. That selfish motivation sometimes helps me move toward forgiveness, strangely.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your reply. I did not see this until after i read your last post about leaving your child in Gods hand (really we don't have much choice at this point!) and turning to God for all our weaknesses. I felt like my answer was in there. Your works reminded me of that Bible passage (not sure exactly) "Gods power is made perfect in my weakness". Well maybe I should be grateful for my epic failures -Gods powers must be very great with me. Ultimately, I think its not really between me and the others i fail but between me and God anyway. Sort of like you said about wanting things for your son-but wait "i want them for myself too"!
      I really do look forward to your posts.

      Delete