Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sun in the trees


"From where I lay I can see the sun,
rising through the trees.
Before I face this morning rush,
I get down on my knees.

I lift my eyes and I thank you
for this life you've granted me.
I pray that every day I live, your heart will be pleased."

(from All I Ever Wanted, by Margaret Becker)

I was thinking of this old favorite song of mine this morning, as I sat watching the sun peek through the trees on its way to light the sky for the day. I was reading about the land allotments in the book of Joshua and paused to stretch my problematic neck. (See previous post for details.)

I caught a momentary glimpse of bright orange as the rising sun peeked through the cedars in the back yard. In that split second, I sensed God saying to me, as He had to Paul centuries ago,


"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
(2 Corinthians 12:9)


Recently, I've been struggling with an ongoing personal issue and, even though I was stretching for physical comfort in that moment, God met me with a much deeper comfort. A reminder that although it only seems we see the sun for a second, it's always there. Even though there may only be a spot - a single ray - of sunlight shining into our darkness, it's never blotted out completely.

God's light - His comfort, His truth, His love - is always rising to fill our lives.

Whether we see the effects dimly - diffused through leaves or morning fog - or if it's brilliantly spectacular in its hues and intensity, the sun - like God - is constant and unchanging. We'll catch glimpses; then it will seem to disappear because we've lost sight of it. But God will use His Word, His Spirit, and other people in our lives to remind us that He is there.

As I still sit and see the shadows and lighting shift among the trees, I'm reassured. I sense God's peace in my present situation as well as for life in general, as He reminds me that His grace IS sufficient for me. Whether I need to pull up my big girl panties and suck it up because life is hard, or I lay out my heart before Him in my need and pain, what He offers is enough.


1 comment:

  1. I am facinated with your writings-often with themes of Gods love but still with a strong lean toward "the judgement is coming". I guess because i so rarely hear that-ministers want to focus on the love and downplay the judgement. Any you speak the truth. And I come away thinking she really has a point!
    Having said that, the message today really makes my heart rejoice. This is really the good news and I am so grateful for the abundant grace and comforted with the knowledge that it is greatest when needed the most. This is also a time I need that grace.

    ReplyDelete