Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thoughts on Paul's example

I'm reading through Philippians and Colossians this summer with some gals on facebook. This week we're reading Philippians 4 and this morning I was struck by the repetition of Paul's bold invitation to follow his example in following Christ. Here, he says it in verse 9:

"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you".

In verse 17 of Chapter 3 he said:

"Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you".

What would that look like in the lives of those I've discipled over the years, if they followed my example and put into practice not only what they've learned, received, and heard from me, but also what they've seen? Definitely better some days than others. And Paul was so intentional about having those people in his life, wasn't he? Constantly multiplying himself by investing in younger men to further the kingdom.

Have you been the beneficiary of that kind of relationship? Have you had the blessing of being that example to someone else? It's quite a challenge, but also very satisfying. It requires that we spend a lot of time with God, allowing Him to make us into an example that can be followed. And an example that always points back to Jesus. Lord, let it be so.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a question! This hit me hard since I've realized over the past couple months that one particular relationship with a young woman has become VERY much a discipleship relationship. I think all too often my message to her is "look at Jesus, but don't look at me because I'm crazy messed up." I never considered how valuable would it be to HER if I really let God have control over all aspects of my life? My choices don't affect me alone.

    ReplyDelete