Friday, December 31, 2010

Fully Equipped

I recently traded in my car for a new one. We live on a fairly steep incline and my son and his friends snowboard and mountain bike, so my creamy sedan was just not cutting it. Wet, muddy teenage boys are now welcome in my all-wheel drive vehicle.

As we shopped for cars, we were intrigued by the many features that were available for safety and comfort. Air bags are now standard. Stereo quality varies. Some have navigation systems and some are bluetooth ready. The question becomes: which equipment am I willing to pay extra for?

After a while, I was tempted to believe that I deserved or needed certain features. What if I get lost? Shouldn't I have a GPS for safety? When I have to leave my car outside overnight, shouldn't I be able to rely on a speedy and efficient way to heat my posterior? And if fresh air is so good for me, doesn't it make sense to let more of it in through the sun roof? Please. It's not like we get a lot of those sunny days here to let in through the roof anyway...

Do you know what that attitude is called? It's called entitlement. If you listen to talk radio or have teenagers, you might be familiar with this concept. It's the idea that, by virtue of my very existence, I am entitled to certain rights, possessions, or comfort. We hope our kids grow out of it and it's not a biblical value. But it is in our human, carnal nature to want more. And to think we should get it. And if we're Christians, we sometimes think God owes us.

He doesn't.

Look at this passage from Paul's letter to the Corinthian Christians, as he describes what we've already been given:


"...in him you have been enriched in every way -- in all your speaking and in all your knowledge -- because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful."
(1 Corinthians 1:5-9)


Huh. We have been enriched in every way. We do not lack any spiritual gift. In other words, spiritually speaking, we are fully loaded. Every and any are pretty absolute words. And, lest we forget, these blessings are brought to you by our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. At no cost to us. It cost Him His life.

So what difference does that make in the life of a believer? How does it change our attitudes and behaviors to know that we are fully equipped to live the life He's called us to live?

For one, I think we can walk with a profound sense of freedom and confidence. We are complete. Our security and identity rests in our God, who cannot be shaken and to whom all creation belongs and submits. He will make us and keep us strong. He will empower us to speak words of truth and encouragement.

Secondly, I hope it tweaks our priorities as we remember that we have already been given more than we deserve and our focus should be on pleasing, thanking, and living in wholehearted devotion to the One who gave it to us.

Lastly, we can remember that if we don't have it, we don't need it. God is sovereign and generous in His loving provision.

As we begin a new year, we can be encouraged by the fact that God has indeed "blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ". (Ephesians 1:3) We are complete and fully equipped to live for Him. Lord, let it be so. Amen.


2 comments: