Thursday, October 14, 2010

No Longer A Burden

As I've been engaged in a struggle recently to come to terms with some familiar and hated sin in my life, I was struck by the verse of my favorite hymn. I'd been feeling exhausted from the struggle of continual surrender to the Lord and I cried out to Him to change my heart - one more time. Then these words came to me in the shower:


My sin, O the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part, but the whole
Is nailed to the cross and
I bear it no more
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, O My soul!


It occurred to me that I don't have to bear the constant weight of my sin; that's precisely what Christ died for! He is my Savior, my Healer and my Intercessor. The Holy Spirit will convict me and transform me as I surrender to His convictions and rely on Jesus' sacrifice and the power of the resurrection to change me once again.


I'm not after behavior modification here; I'm after complete and radical transformation into the image of Christ. I will not brush my sinful responses to life under the proverbial carpet, grieving the Holy Spirit by my refusal to call my sin what it is. I will not grit my teeth and attempt to walk in Pharisaical adherence to regulations and expectations. I will not blame other people or my circumstances for my sinful attitudes.


I will examine my life in the light of the truth - the person of Jesus Christ. I will lay down my pride and admit when I'm wrong. I will fall on my face, at the feet of Jesus, again and again, until He takes me home and I will be like Him.


My sin is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more! Praise the Lord, O my soul!


No comments:

Post a Comment