Thursday, September 9, 2010

I was reading a story today that prompted me to pray for my son. It has been, to this point, an amazing process to watch as he transforms from boy to man before my very eyes. He's only 14, but he is already leaving certain childish ways behind him and taking on physical and social characteristics of an independent adult. In phases, of course.


In reading Joseph's story in Genesis today, I was compelled to pray for my adolescent in a new way because of insight I got from the Holy Spirit. Here's the section that stopped me:


Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, 7 and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!"

8 But he refused. "With me in charge," he told her, "my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care. 9 No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?" 10 And though she spoke to Joseph day after day, he refused to go to bed with her or even be with her. (Genesis 39:6-10)


Joseph was well-built and handsome. If he had been homely and overweight would Potiphar's wife even have noticed him? And what kind of woman was this, who would keep an eye on the help and try to lure them into unsavory acts while her husband was away? But the real question that fueled my prayer was this: what kind of character had Joseph built so he could resist her advances? What had Rachel taught him about the wiles of a woman on the prowl? What kind of relationship with God did Joseph cultivate to stand so firmly on his convictions? How does a teenager (we know that Joseph was 17 or 18 at this point) have such clear perspective and self-control?


I began to pray as soon as I read this that my son would be cultivating a relationship with God that would lead to character like Joseph's. That God would reveal Himself as holy and mighty so that my son would develop a healthy fear of Him to run away from disobedience and run toward purity. Even if it means dire consequences (Joseph ultimately went to prison after being framed for seducing Potiphar's wife.), I pray that my son would choose God and His way in the moments of pressure in his life. Because in that there is the reward of God's presence and the peace of obedience.


It's too late to pray that my son not be handsome and well-built. I'm not objective, of course, but the genetics were put in motion 14 years ago and it's done. He's handsome and well-built. (And cancer-free, I might add...Yay!) However, I can be praying that he would follow God. Trust God. Know and understand God as fully as he can so that God will be his strength in difficult social situations that will surely present themselves.


I won't pray for God to be with my son. He's already answered that prayer. I will pray that Charlie will know He's with him and that he will respond to that holy presence appropriately.



No comments:

Post a Comment