Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Trepidation or Comfort?


Have you ever watched NCIS or CSI(name of city here) and had them NOT discover the identity of the unsub (That’s unidentified subject of an investigation, for you civilians)? It’s astounding, isn’t it, that they piece together the clues – the DNA, testimony, profiles, etc. – in an hour every time. No fiber, idiosyncrasy, or phony alibi gets past the brilliant minds of the detectives on the job. Just try to put one over on them. You can’t. They’ll get you every time. And the victims are justified and the file is closed on another perp.


Depending on where you sit on any given episode, you may be filled with trepidation that someone you’re coming to like will get nailed for a crime, or you’re cheering for the ones in the white lab coats to shed light on the facts to determine the truth. But eventually we all know that the truth will come out and the mystery will be solved.


Real life is like that, too. Whether we’re trying to cover up truth and hide it from someone else or ourselves, the secrets will be unveiled and God sees everything. That can cause trepidation or comfort, depending on the stories we tell ourselves. Look at Jesus’ words to His disciples during a teaching time:



2There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 3What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs. (Luke 12:2-3)


Jesus was warning the disciples against the twisted teachings of the Pharisees, which He compared to yeast, working its way through the whole loaf of bread. That was probably a comfort to the disciples, knowing that even though the men in charge of communicating God’s law were making a mockery of it, God knew and His truth and will would prevail. It’s a call to integrity for our own lives and a call to surrender to God’s sovereignty when it comes to others’.


Compare Jesus’ words to His disciples with the following verses:


7 Where can I go from your Spirit?

Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;

if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,

if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,

your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me

and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;

the night will shine like the day,

for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)



8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord. 11Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible…(Ephesians 5:8-13)



Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:13)



But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6:6)



God sees and knows everything. Is this good news or bad news? I guess it depends on how we’re living our lives and how we’re relating to those around us. It’s comforting to know that God sees all the manipulating and hurtful things other people do to me, but I’m less excited to know that all of my sinful thoughts and actions are laid bare before my God and Judge, too, you know?


Here’s a newsflash: Things happen in life that are outside of our control. I know. Take a minute to let it sink in. But the corollary is more comforting: Nothing happens outside of God’s control. That’s what sovereignty means. It’s all part of His bigger plan. He sees it all and nothing shocks Him or causes Him to panic. For us, seeing it all does nothing but bring shock and panic. Do you want to be smart or happy? Ignorance really is bliss. Not so for God.


So if everything I think, say, do, or feel is already known by God, why do I try to hide these things from Him? It makes sense that I should try to edit some of the information I leak to people around me, but it’s not logical or helpful (or honest, for that matter) to hide them from God. Everything exposed by light (Jesus = the light of the world) becomes visible. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before Him. Our Father sees what is done in secret. He lets light in to the dark, hidden places in our hearts to reveal our motivation and transform us into the image of Christ. If we can grasp that concept, it can liberate us instead of causing shame and trepidation. Yes, He sees and knows the ugliest part of our hearts on our worst day; but His love is bigger and He wants us to be more. He wants to free us to become the very best version of who He created us to be.


On the flip side, I can release my concern over others’ behavior because that will be exposed and laid bare before God, too. I am not personally responsible for outing every sinner and mean person I encounter. Because of God’s omniscience (He knows everything), I am released from the burden of being a spiritual tattle-tale and I can let God’s Spirit do what He does best in people’s hearts: bring transformation. Then I am free to hear from God myself and take the plank out of my own eye so I can see clearly to help my brother take the speck out of his. (Matthew 7:5)


Search me, O God, and know my heart. Illuminate the darkness with your loving light and truth. Release me from my self-imposed burdens and show me your glory.


• Which is a more immediate concern for you – being honest with God about your own inner issues or stressing over what others seem to be getting away with? Is it a combination of both? How can these verses help direct you toward God’s truth in this area?


• How does the concept of shouting truths from rooftops and shining light on issues play into evangelism? Is there an area of your walk with Christ where God may be calling you to shed some light in a bold way? Pray about who God may be leading you to share your story with.


• Do you experience trepidation (anxiety, tension, etc.) over the concept of God seeing everything in your heart or does it bring you comfort? What significant encounters with God have brought you to that place?


No comments:

Post a Comment