Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Attitude Adjustment

Recently, as I’ve been walking with family and friends through tragedy and the waves of difficulties in life, I’ve been reminded of some foundational truths that I fear I’d lost sight of. In wondering how God will turn around my circumstances or what He will reveal about the purpose and direction of my life, some words of Scripture in song have pierced through what I think has been selfish thinking as my thoughts and prayers have been rather jennicentric. Like Nicolaus Copernicus discovered that the sun, not the earth, was the center of the universe, I am having to replace myself as the center of things with the Son.


Yes, God comes to us in pain and He is near when we call Him. He does care about what concerns us and He can work miracles in our lives and in the lives of the people around us. However, when my eyes are on those things alone, it is easy to forget that I am simply a sinner in need of grace. I was lost and now am found. I needed a Savior to understand God and it is only by His blood and power that I am who I’m becoming.


Take a look at this sober reminder of basic theology with me, will you?



21 But now God has shown us a way to be made right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. 22 We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.

23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. 24 Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. 25 For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood. This sacrifice shows that God was being fair when he held back and did not punish those who sinned in times past, 26 for he was looking ahead and including them in what he would do in this present time. God did this to demonstrate his righteousness, for he himself is fair and just, and he declares sinners to be right in his sight when they believe in Jesus.

27 Can we boast, then, that we have done anything to be accepted by God? No, because our acquittal is not based on obeying the law. It is based on faith. 28 So we are made right with God through faith and not by obeying the law.

29 After all, is God the God of the Jews only? Isn’t he also the God of the Gentiles? Of course he is. 30 There is only one God, and he makes people right with himself only by faith, whether they are Jews or Gentiles. 31 Well then, if we emphasize faith, does this mean that we can forget about the law? Of course not! In fact, only when we have faith do we truly fulfill the law. (Romans 3:21-31 NLT)



Verse 22 resonates strongly with me:
We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. How can I live my life for weeks at a time without at least acknowledging that fact? Do I really begin to believe that I’m pretty good on my own and that God continues to exist to meet my needs and show off for me? I don’t want to say that’s what it comes down to, but I don’t see what else my lack of humility and appreciation in light of Christ’s sacrifice could communicate to God.


Is it possible to be so consumed by pain or distracted by blessing that I forget my position before the Creator of the universe? Apparently it is and I am dismayed.


Look at the following verses that reflect attitudes toward sin and compare it to yours. What does the comparison do to you?



“I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin.” (Psalm 38:18)


“Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD’ – and you forgave the guilt of my sin.” (Psalm 32:5)


When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, ‘Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.’

Simon answered, ‘Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.’

When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.

When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, ‘Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!’ (Luke 5:4-8)



Is it true that we are freed from the penalty of our sins? If so, then I need to rejoice!


Do we believe that there should even be a penalty? If so, I should be grateful that it has been paid.


Do we take God’s mercy for granted? If so, I have discovered where to begin the list of sins to confess.


Does my reality reflect my theology if I live as if my sin just slows me down a little instead of acknowledging that it prevents me from a relationship with my Father unless I come through the Son? If so, my reality needs an adjustment to the Word of God, which says that I am separated from God without Jesus. But through Jesus I am reconciled. Adopted. Forgiven. Accepted.


Jesus paid it all,

All to Him I owe;

Sin had left a crimson stain,

He washed it white as snow.



Knowing Jesus is the only way to know myself. And when the comparison makes itself known, I, like Simon Peter, fall at Jesus’ knees and fully realize the disparity between his holiness and my sinfulness. My attitudes are selfish and self-serving. My words bring death instead of life. My love and concern for even those closest to me is feeble, not to mention the distance I have to grow in learning to care for the poor and marginalized in society. I am not a self-help project who has hit a snag in my quest for improvement; I am a wretch, justified and purchased at the high price of my Savior’s blood. But I want to be so much more.



• Dare to pray Psalm 139: 23-24 this week and mean it.

1 comment:

  1. Amesome stuff Jenni! I will take you up on that dare. :)

    ReplyDelete